Family Health & Fitness
By Ivy Bagley
This is a great day to engage in a few healthy activities as a family! These healthy choices can quickly become healthy daily habits!
- 80.2 million Americans over the age of six are physically inactive.
- Physical Education isn’t required in all 50 states.
- One-third of high school students spend at least 3 hours on a school day playing computer or video games.
- Children spend over 8 hours a day on a screen- TV, video, computer, tablet, or phone.
How can you change these habits, celebrate Family Health and Fitness Day, and start making changes with your kids?
- Go for a walk. Visit a local park and engage in active play.
- Cook at home. Spend time teaching kids measuring, portion sizes, and basic cooking skills.
- Try a “veggie only” meal. Or, try a new vegetable.
- Have a dance-a-thon.
- Play kick ball as a family.
- Choose to have a “no screen” day.
- Walk or run a “fun mile.”
- Set up an obstacle course in the back yard.
- Practice for upcoming sports.
- Organize a neighborhood bike ride/race.